Organization Effectiveness Consultant, Executive & Leadership Coach, Corporate Trainer
About the instructor
What People Say About Duane (More Found on LinkedIn)
I’ve worked at the NYC DOT for more than twenty-three years and in that time I have attended many different types of training, working groups, and seminars. Duane Andrews might be the best all around trainer/instructor I’ve ever met. Mr. Andrews was well-prepared, knowledgeable, direct, honest, and demonstrated patience and commitment to his students. In my opinion, his best quality was his ability to create the comfortable feeling of a one-on-one training environment despite the twenty-five other students in the session. I would highly recommend Duane Andrews as a trainer. John P - Executive Director
In pursuit of Baruch College's Project Management Certification, I had the privilege to take Duane Andrew's class on Negotiation, Decision Making, and Conflict Management. It is the BEST class I have ever taken in my academic and professional careers. Duane is an excellent instructor. He brings a very unique and passionate approach to teaching. He created a safe space for students to share negative encounters that they experienced during the conflict simulations. This safe space allowed me and others to openly and freely ask for constructive criticism of our work. Moreover, it also allowed students to engage in dialogue that fostered transparency that nurtured personal growth. I left the class with much more awareness of how I've contributed to conflicts, was challenged to be a better version of myself and emboldened to embrace conflict to seek positive win-win resolutions. Never in my career have I encountered such a learning experience. One cannot leave the class without being spurred to be better. I highly recommend this class and especially Duane Andrews to anyone who seeks to learn the skills to resolve conflicts and foster genuine discussions of change. Jennifer L - Major Accounts Project Manager
Duane Andrews is an excellent educator and I highly recommend anyone looking to take a management course, whether you are new to managing people or want to enhance your management skills to sign up for one or all of his courses. I have taken a number of his management courses and each one was nothing short of inspirational. Duane is a leader with well-honed, real-world business experience; he embodies greatness and imparts practical business knowledge, which can be immediately applied to management practices within any industry. Duane's courses are participative, if you are looking for a course where you are looking at a series of slides and taking notes, look elsewhere, because he'll make you work and you'll thank him for it. I would recommend Duane for in-house management consulting, coaching, leadership workshops. He is that good, a true leader personified. Jessica H, PMP, CSM, Executive Director-- Risk IT Rapid Solutions Project Manager/Business Analyst
Duane is the best teacher that I've ever had. I took three courses with him last semester Organization Development, Leadership and Conflict Resolution. All of these three courses were just great ! Duane is an expert in OD, a leader who knows how to develop others and a good negotiator who knows how to ask the right questions. I learned a lot from him. Maybe there are other good teachers who teach well, but Duane did way more than that. Personally, I regard him as a model in my life. Duane is competent and responsive. He cared for everyone in the team and he provided us an environment where we could motivate ourselves. He was enthusiastic, positive and always willing to help. Every time I think of him, I feel encouraged to cope with all the difficulties that I meet in work or in life. I was really lucky to have him as my teacher. The only pity was that I couldn't have spent more time with him. A big thank you, sir. Z Ye - Organisation Development - Management trainee
The Effective Listening Masterclass
Mastering the Most Important Skill in the Leadership and Influence Toolkit
Do you often feel you are not getting your point across? Do you find yourself saying “You’re not hearing me!” in a heating exchange with a co-worker? Has someone said to you “You said that already!” during an argument? Have you noticed your irritation with long pointless meetings and discussions? Well, you are not alone! These are all signs that you are not being listened to…and you are not listening to the other party. Listening goes both ways.
Your work environment is filled with the complexities of hierarchy, individual versus team needs, deadlines and other critical demands. These stressors can drive you to use counterproductive approaches to be heard. This course provides you with a clear understanding of how to combat the counterproductive patters which gets in the way of you listening effectively, which in turn increases the likelihood that you are listened to.
If you’re looking for a cookie cutter listening skills course, which deals with cliche verbal and non-verbal listening skills and the like, then you’re in the wrong place! This course is tackled through the lens of effectively listening to have influence over an outcome, person or situation…by effectively we mean 1) listening to respond to the true meaning of the other party’s communication thus significantly shortening conversations. 2) Eliminate misunderstanding by removing the noise of miscommunication. 3) Understanding what others are hearing from us – what our disposition is saying to them. 4) Learning to listen to what we think we already know the other party is about to say.
Participants will learn:
- How to responding to what was intended versus what was verbalized.
- How to differentiate Hearing from Listening.
- The relationship between Active and Strategic Listening.
- The Time Management Case for Effective Listening.
- How to wade through the noise to get to the point.
- How to interpret your own counterproductive patterns of behavior when communicating.
- How to recognize the effects of the silence on listening.
- How to best utilize four key components of the Effective Listening process - hearing, interpreting evaluating, and responding – to influence an outcome.
- What listening tactics are most counterproductive to your desired outcome.
This course will help if you:
- Want to improve your communication at work, home or socially.
- Want to be taken seriously by your boss.
- Are not getting your job done in the time allotted.
- Want to improve customer satisfaction…and loyalty in your organization.
- Are part of a project team and there is no appointed leader.
- Find it difficult to get your point across in certain situations.
- Work with a team member whose behavior you find disruptive or overly arduous.
- Seek to influence a team, supervisor or process.
Accompanying Free Psychological Assessment!
The Listening Skills Inventory (Assessment) (LISI)
Upon completion of this class, please email me (email@example.com) for access to your accompanying free online psychological assessment – The Listening Skills Inventory (LISI).
Before mastering the skill of latent listening, you must first master the skill of manifest listening. For this reason it’s important to provide you the opportunity to gain self-awareness and insight on whether your tendencies and behavioral traits may help or hinder that process. Some of the awareness building factors the LISI Assessment considers are:
- Physical Attentiveness: Use of verbal and non-verbal language to indicate attentiveness.
- Mental Attentiveness: Mentally “tuning-in” to a speaker, and being willing and able to offer undivided attention.
- External Distractions: Ability to pay attention despite background noise.
- Conversation Flow: Tendency to interrupt or otherwise disrupt conversation flow.
- Speaker to Listener Transition: Level of comfort with being the listener rather than speaker.
- Body Language: Use of body language to convey interest and attentiveness.
- Internal Distractions: Ability to pay attention despite internal conflict.
- Attention Span: Ability to pay attention to a speaker for an extended period of time.
- Hearing a Person Out: Ability to listen with an open mind.
The assessment’s resulting insight, coupled with the strategies and techniques provided in the course provide the perfect compliment to advancing your ability to “Master the Skill of Latent Listening.”